Thursday, December 19, 2013

My thoughts on the Blazers thus far

This post comes from the fact that the Blazers did lose yesterday. 27 games into the season their is no doubt that is team has something special. I am no expert but I did want to state my option on the team thus far in the best manner that I can.

For one, the resilience this team has is unbelievable! Yesterdays game I had as a loss long before they played, but they could have easily been 1-3 on that trip and they know it. The fight this team has is a lot like that team was last year. I remember a lot of their 33 wins last year and they had some pretty good games when they fought back and won. Granted last year they had no bench but compared to this years team the starters haven't changed. With exception to Lopez being a true center that doesn't demand touches and the bench being upgraded with players that mesh well and fit Stotts system, this team will not give up.

One thing I loved about last night is the quotes from the players. They admitted the Twolves kicked their rear end and didn't make excuses about it. They noticed flaws and even said they have a lot of work to do as a team. Most of that is on the defensive end but with all the points they put up each game, you are unlikely to see the Blazers crack the Top 5 when it comes to team defense, but they can continue to get better and do what they do best.

I trust Stotts 100% with the direction of this team, he is an analytical genius in my mind. The NBA game has changed and he knows it. No Blazer team in my lifetime have I remembered meshes together as well as the Blazers team does this year. I still think Mo could improve in the 6th man role, but he sure is a hell of an upgrade from last year. Freeland has changed his game completely and if only Leonard could learn from him and the confidence he has with his gameplay on the court, he could be 2nd string. Until he learns that, Freeland will continue to get minutes. Wright can flat out shoot the ball when he needs to and his D isn't to bad. And T-Rob is a diamond in the rough that will continue to get better over time. If the starters stay healthy, I like this team making a run in the playoffs.

But their is so much room for improvement and a lot of it. I love the fact that LA and Wes demanded a team meeting after last nights loss. They take complete blame for it. Teams in the past would never do this. Not this Blazer team. Individually each guy can improve. Damian and his FG percentage inside the three, Wes and creating his own shot. Batum not forcing things. LA is playing great. RoLo manning up more. Mo not being stupid and turning the ball over. The list goes on.

Along with the teams we have beaten, we have yet to face a quality team on the road. Sure we have already beat our road record from last year but until we beat a team like OKC, Houston and SA at there home, I won't be satisfied. Can I also say I can't wait to see what CJ can bring to the team.

Looking forward to the new year. I am thankful we have only 5 games left in December. We need it. On average we have played two more games than most of the NBA. That is crazy. Beating LAC and Miami at home will be huge. December 31st is the game I will have circled though. @ OKC with Durant. 4-1 the next 5 I am okay with. But beating OKC at home will only tell me more about this team. The D was none existent this last road trip and will get better. We will continue to lead the NBA in points and 3 point FG made. When 3 of your players are in the top 10 for FG made behind 3 that trend is likely to continue to happen throughout the season. But quality road wins in what I am looking for because come playoff time we will need them. So much more to talk about. Moral of the story is I love this team and love that they want to get better 22-5 isn't good enough and I LOVE that. Thankful to be a part time season holder as well. Miami is next. Keep it up Blazers, you are making this city, this state, and also this nation really proud! Rip City for life. Until next time.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment